Tuesday 19 April 2011

Day One

At 8 am I started to walk down to the beach. It wasn't windy at all and I was quite pleased that my LS Tee and lightweight track pants were going to be adequate.Walking through town, the bakery was open and the smell of freshly baked bread wafted out its door. There were a couple of utes on the street, getting brekky perhaps. The rest of the town was deserted. Walking past the mechanic shop the doors were open but no noise echoed out the door yet.


I reached the dunes and as today I was commencing the first day of my running program (have to keep the exercise up - no zumba here unfortunately) my ipod was in my ears, playing the  podcast but to my eyes the scenery ahead of me  looked so serene. The tide was out and the flats were exposed for about 800 metres. The beach was deserted, the only other sign of life was the solitary footprints of another human and a dog, that had been there before me but were now nowhere to be seen.
Going north along the beach
Going south with
Mt Strzlecki in the background
After my 30 mins of instruction and exercise, I was now able to truly take in where I was. I turned to return back and I switched the ipod off. My ears could now take in the peacefulness of it all. All I could hear was the crunching of my runners on the sand with each step that I took. There was the odd cry of a gull. The tide had come in somewhat and I could hear the gentle lap of the Bass Strait waters on the sand. The water was calm and ahead there was a black swan gliding over the flat waters. Ahead of me the peaks of Mt. Strzelecki emerged intermittently through the clouds.


As I reached the dunes, seaweed from the day before was scattered everywhere with bright, white cuttle fish, some up to 20 cm long, dispersed throughout. Walking through the dunes I could hear the twittering and fluttering of native birds throughout the vegetation.


Walking back through town, people were now emerging as the town begins to wake up for the new day.

2 comments:

  1. Great start, Tracy! I look forward to hearing your adventures.

    Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete