Wednesday 8 February 2012

The car arrives and routine starts to set in.

Well, followers things have quietened down here at the moment. After spending 2 weekends unpacking, left us very little extra time for anything else.
Our car arrived on the barge last Friday which was ahead of schedule. We drove down to Lady Barron, which is the next little town to pick it up. It was interesting to watch the barge back up onto the loading dock which took probably 10 mins to align it right. The car had travelled with cattle so when I got into it, it stunk of cattle and the poor wheels and car was splattered in cattle debris.
Anyway, we drove home which was an event in itself. Bruno was in the lead in his car. I was mindful of wallabies and other wildlife as it was after 5.30pm and we don't have a "wombat bar" on the car yet,  but nothing prepared me for what happened next. Following the road we headed over a rise and I  proceeded to take a bend, then suddenly the car was right over on the far left of the road in gravel. I tried to steer out, wheels locked and I started driving horizontally across the two lanes of the road heading for the white guide post on the other side. I tell you my life flashed up before me especially my kids faces. Anyway, had to get myself together, turned the steering wheel the other way, to righten myself on the road and to avoid the post. I succeeded to avoid the pole however, now I was horizontally facing the other side of the road and a ditch. My god, take your foot of the acelerater I told myself and the car stopped, facing the ditch. I sat there somewhat stumped. A car coming the other way slowed down to check if I was Ok. I reversed out, straightened the car, and by then Bruno had turned around and checked that I was OK. Good save he said to me. We or I at least,  proceeded somewhat gingerly home.

One of our new walking routes
 The Bluff Walk
adjacent to the beach.



Getting to the beach.





I have still been going for my daily walks with Rosie. Today I am venturing out, would you believe to go to water aerobics???? must be crazy. They say the pool is heated, so how cold can it really be???
The weather was sunny so that was a good sign. On arrival at the pool, I put my foot into the water and after deliberating for several moments with my feet poised over the water in the pool, I decided if I was going to get in I had to just go for it. Splash, my breath caught in my throat, ok keep swimming, keep swimming I WILL warm up in a minute. It really didn't take long for me to feel warm enough in the water to stop shivering and carrying on. The aqua aerobics class consisted of 4 of us, and we danced along and exercised to music some of which were familiar to me especially the Zumba songs. However, my movements on several of the songs was not the same as the instructors ( she is the zumba instructor too) as she had adapted some zumba songs for "zumba aerobics". So, with her calling out, arms out, arms up and twisting around I was doing one arm up, other arm up, arms crossed and jump whilst singing along to Livin La Veda Loca in my own little world with some memories of my past life in Qld. LOL.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Tracy! That drive home from the barge sounds a bit more exciting than you needed! I'm glad you're okay. Rosie looks like she's loving the walks and the beach. :-)

    ReplyDelete