Sunday 26 February 2012

Exercising options.

On Friday night, a week ago, Bruno and I headed off to the local Barefoot Bowls. We were in opposing teams which made the competition "on".
Earlier that day Bruno had been asked if I played bowls before, to which the reply was no. He was then asked to fill in, on one of the Corporate Teams which played for "sheep stations" on Sundays. The team of all things was called The Pink Ladies.
However, getting back to Friday night bowls. I was struck with beginners luck and was bowling very well for a first time. It wasn't long before Bruno was demoted and I became the new replacement for the Pink Ladies. I did try to warn them that they were taking a gamble with me but I think they were also worried that Bruno in pink was not going to be a good look. We went on to win our Friday night game.
Anyway, Sunday came and I put on the only pink Tshirt I owned and headed to the Bowls Club. I was feeling quite good and proceeded to have my first bowl and ouch! the back of my thigh was complaining not to say the ball went way off track. My next turn came and again as I lunged forward to bowl the pain in my leg sent me off target once again. By the time I had bowled three more times it was obvious that I couldn't play anymore. The pain, every time I bent forward sent me off balance and consequently the balls were way off. Lucky some of my fellow team players were nursing staff and yes, I had strained my hamstring muscle. Bugger! I had really let the team down. Despite the absence of me they did go onto win and I have to live down the fact that I strained a hamstring by playing, of all things BOWLS!
Zumba started this week so Monday I spent nursing my injury determined to make that class on Tuesday which I did. The class was a bit different to what I am used to but it was fun and at least I am getting out there and burning some of those excess calories. Now Zumba is only once a week, so, what am I going to do the rest of the week. Exercise options on the island are varied and I can choose from bike riding, swimming, bowls (which I have decided is NOT for someone as young as me!) aqua aerobics, karate and Scottish Country Dancing. I have decided to give bike riding a go on Monday, Wednesday. Zumba Tuesday. Swimming on Thursday and aqua aerobics on Friday. Now that does sound like a plan doesn't it?

To end this blog I will leave with you some scenes from the island.




Looking out at Whitemark beach



No comments:

Post a Comment