Tuesday 21 February 2012

Gardening is in the genes.

I knew it wouldn't take me long to get into the gardens here, but it is a world I know very little of. As all of my Qld friends and family know, my garden at home had a tropical theme and it did take me many years (we were there 18 years) to perfect and sort out which plants do well and where.
On Flinders, I was lucky as there was already a little vege plot which I am going to use for my herbs. Bruno is going to build me some raised garden beds very soon for our veges. So, the herb plot is coming on nicely and herb seedlings I planted on a previous visit here are looking much better now with a bit of TLC and water. Kirsty and mum bought me some name stakes for my garden and I have now put them to good use.
Herb Garden with potato plant to the left.
I had an unidentified plant growing in this particular plot and after a bit of research it is a potato plant. So, just waiting for the leaves to go yellow and then the potatoes are ready for picking. New potatoes! Yum.
I brought many of my pots with me from Qld so I have to decided what I am going to plant in them. My big troughs that had herbs in them back home I am dedicating to flowers. Before I left Kirsty bought me FORGET-ME-NOT seeds. So, last weekend I decided to plant them out. I prepared the troughs, made the burrows and proceeded to plant the seeds. I planted two rows and then while doing the third row, a gust of wind (which is unpredictable at times) blew the packet of seeds out of my hand and around the corner. NO..... I cried out and when I got to the packet there were only 3 seeds left in the packet. I was so close to crying, it really upset me. "They were the seeds that Kirsty got for me and now most of them are gone," I sobbed and poor Bruno spent a good 20 mins searching for wayward seeds for me. He did manage to find another 6 and they were tiny!!
Anyway, a week on and there are green shoots peeking through the soil. I am now so happy and can't wait till they flower. Love you Kirsty xx

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the photos of those flowering Forget-Me-Nots. :-)

    ReplyDelete